Sunday, September 27, 2009

Goodbye Kigoma, Hello Kasulu

My time in Kigoma, Tanzania is wrapping up and soon we will be off to the Teachers' College in Kasulu, a mere 75 KM east from here. It will be a sad day when I do not get to work with these wonderful local volunteers committed to making Kigoma region a "better place." Their willingness to endure the heat and dusty conditions of the Kigoma fields truly indicates their desire to learn how to teach using sport. Selfishly I will miss my afternoon and night sessions with the local children, especially the girls and young women. I will leave knowing that these young women have gained a certain level of respect in the community as well as have learned to approach difficult situations with an eye towards analysing the problem to make a choice rather than just following local tradition. And, I will know that I taught them no grammatical skills by re-reading that last sentence.

Anyway, I wish you all the best and send a hug to my family, especially my Dad. When I learned of the news of Uncle Joey's passing, I recalled his laughter as one of his greatest gifts. I will miss him.

Much love,
Christian

5 comments:

  1. Hi Christian - your mom forwarded me your blog and I am totally enjoying reading about your experiences. You are touching so many young lives with your big heart.
    Sue Rakusing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christian, Hang in there buddy, you're doing some great things!!
    Dave Crouch

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm ... not sure what happened to my comment. Anyway, Veez - wish I could have gotten over there this fall. Amazing stuff - nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep up the good work, old man....now back to my casebook.

    Silkky McSnuggles

    ReplyDelete