Friday, September 18, 2009

Female Empowerment; Part I


As those close to me know, I have many strong, independent female friends. Additionally, I have been fortunate to have a confident and intelligent mother and three powerful and witty sisters. In America, I still see females facing challenges that I do not have to face. Because of my upbringing with a focus on equality, I find it very natural to play soccer with both boys and girls. However, I have found my experience in Africa to be quite different than America. Looking at the picture to the left, one can see how difficult it is for little African girls. Here, the 7 year old sister was asked to watch her younger brother at the same time as our session. She was not to be deterred. She asked if it was ok if she just did her drills with her brother on her back. I of course allowed the amazing feat to happen. The next day there were more girls carrying their siblings. This resolve continues to leave my mouth wide open. Knowing that I carried a 50 pound bag for three months across three countries for the girls' program here in Kigoma makes me feel great inside.

All the best,

Christian

1 comment:

  1. That truly is amazing. Made me tear up. Your posts are inspirational and funny. Always look forward to reading them!

    ReplyDelete