Thursday, September 3, 2009

19-0

I often have to stop and admire the strength and resolve of the children with whom I work. Most days I encounter smiling faces wearing torn and battered shorts and t-shirts that have obviously been passed on from charitable organizations across the world, but mostly from the US. While I have heard economic arguments that say providing donated clothes hurts local textile merchants, I don't see how one could stop giving clothes when I see too many cold, barely clothed kids. I will leave the long term economic challenges to greater minds, and keep appreciating the short term, survival economics I see happening. Besides, the slogans on the t-shirts really crack me up. Some of my favorites include: "Fishing for Jesus: Dallas Lutheran Church Fundraiser;" "Marlboro High School Soccer" because it was the closest to home; "Sexy and Single" on a grandmother holding two children and carrying a stack of branches on her head that would have crushed my skull. Today, however, I laughed out loud when I saw a special shirt and I immediately thought of many of my voluntourists. It was dark blue and had a Patriots logo and read "19-0: The Perfect Season". I knew these shirts must have been printed and always said they would just be shipped off to some remote place, and today that statement was confirmed - apparently remote is Moshi, Tanzania where I currently find myself.
As the college and professional football seasons begin, and you cheer on your teams (Go Canes!), please enjoy yourself and think about donating your old summer clothes so that next year African children are not all dressed in Notre Dame National Champions Shirts and Philadelphia Eagles Super Bowl Champions sweatshirts.

Tutaonana,
Christian

1 comment:

  1. Ha - nice, surprised you didn't use it to take a dig at the Cowboys!

    ReplyDelete