Friday, November 13, 2009

The Magic (Mujika) Kingdom?

This past week we were lucky enough to be invited to the beautiful, albeit remote, village of Mujika. This village consists of about 10,000 Zambians scattered throughout the bush and rolling hills some 20 miles or so from Monze (my home base). As part of our commitment to the Zambia Project and BSI (our local partner), we committed to extended visits to rural sites to teach coaches and teachers, as well as the local children, as travel to our regular sessions was too distant. Upon arriving at the Malomo School and meeting the family with which we would stay, Sam and I knew we were in good hands. Over the next five days we conducted training sessions for the peer coaches and leaders of the community on how to use sport to teach the children. In the afternoons to the cusp of darkness, we taught the local children numbering close to 200. With great success we shared our techniques and lessons. The teachers were most pleased with the numerous fun games we shared on HIV/AIDS as they find it a difficult topic to discuss and with these games, they felt they could now approach that difficult but prevalent topic. Additionally, the female teachers really enjoyed our “Nguzu Musimbi” session – Girl Power to those not yet fluent in Tonga. At night we slept soundly having worked hard throughout the day.

Well, that last part is not totally accurate. You see, we were in a very, very remote locale. And, as rainy season was commencing, farming and farm animals ruled the down time. My dear friends the roosters, cows, shepherd dogs, chickens, goats and sheep slept at our door step, when they chose to sleep – which I think was never. But, despite the noise, I would have been able to cope. The real trauma came when I had to use the bathroom hole, some 100 yards away from our sleeping area, one night. In the darkest of hours, with the closest electricity some 20 miles away, I donned my headlamp and trekked to the hole. During my walk, our host’s words at dinner rang in my ears – “Beware of the snakes. Don’t jump over them, step on them.” Who was he kidding? Especially after describing the snakes as 5 feet long and as thick as his leg! Granted he was skinny, but still! With that thought, I kept plodding. Safe from harm, I arrived at the hole, and entered the small, enclosed brick structure. Whether it was the light, or my malaria pills or something else, when I entered the structure, I almost died from fear. There hanging on the walls, crawling on the ground, and dangling from the ceiling, were 10-20 of the largest bugs – I assume spiders – that reminded me immediately of tarantulas. My flashlight only made it worse as the shadows cast were gigantic. With my racing heart jumping out of my chest (yes I understand how cowardly I sound), I exited the structure and just completed my activities in the tall grass behind the hut. Whether a snake bit me was no longer a concern! Luckily, none did.

When I finally made it back to my mosquito tent, I tried desperately to fall back asleep, but with the images in my head, I didn’t dare close both my eyes. Luckily, dawn and the calling of the roosters came soon enough and I could head to our host’s house for some nshima and sour milk – the Breakfast of Champions!

On our last night in Mujika, the village prepared for the soccer tournament we would be holding the next day. With all the children coming, some ladies from the village generously offered to make some Chibwaantu, a corn meal based energy drink. I was later informed it translates to Sweet Beer but I can tell you there was no alcohol involved! Since we brought on the idea of capping our stay with a soccer tournament, I decided it would be good form to assist these lovely ladies with the task at hand. For two hours, in the dark, we sifted corn, and then rinsed it, and then brew it, and then mixed it. The strength of the ladies was fierce, or I am getting weaker by the day. Please reserve comments until I return home as I can’t adequately retort. When done, we let it sit in a drum overnight and then shocked the kids with it the next day. I say shocked because when the children found out I helped make it, there was stunned silence and then applause. I was shocked most of all as it tasted relatively good. It was like a watered down creamed corn soup with a smoky aftertaste. I don’t think Gatorade has any worries but the Mujika children thought it was magical!

Twaunka,
Christiano


PS – Happy Birthday Matt Aviza and Jeff Oberg!


No comments:

Post a Comment